If you vacuum your home as much as you should, then you may be getting sick of dealing with always having to replace the vacuum bags. They’re a pain to pull out without making a mess, and it feels like you’re always out of the refills when you need them. Not to mention those refills don’t come cheap! So really, even if you don’t vacuum as much as you maybe should (and we’re not judging), the bags are still a huge bother. Investing in a bagless vacuum can save a lot of hassle, but where do you start?
We reviewed dozens of bagless vacuums to identify the best of the best. We looked at uprights and handhelds, stationary vacuums, and robots, weighed the benefits of each and the conveniences offered by each model, such as cord length and battery life, along with filters and suction power.
For the best bagless vacuum around, pick up a Shark Navigator Lift-Away!
In our research, the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe Upright Vacuum stood out among all the other vacuums as a clear winner of our Top Pick place. Not only does the bagless dust cup seal in allergens and dust, it also is fully operational as a handheld or upright whole house vacuum.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Top Bagless Vacuums for 2018
|Editor's Choice||Bagless Vacuums||Rating|
|Top Pick||Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe Upright Vacuum||4.5|
|Runner-Up||Eye-Vac EVPRO Tuxedo Black Touchless Stationary Vacuum||4.6|
|Best Budget Buy||Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum||3.8|
|Best Bagless Cannister||Miele Complete C3 Alize||4.4|
|Best Bagless Upright||Shark Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe Upright Vacuum is named so because of its capability; you simply lift the canister away from the standing device and take the now handheld vacuum with you wherever you go. Although the vacuum becomes handheld, you will still need to keep in mind the cord, but at 25 feet long, that power cord is hardly limiting.
The filtration system in this vacuum features an Anti-Allergen Complete Seal and a HEPA filter that traps particles from being re-released into the air, and the dust cup is large capacity so you won’t need to keep stopping to dump the contents. Its Never Loses Suction Technology combines with the swivel head to give this machine an easy and powerful push and pull.
Its versatility, especially with the four included attachments, will leave you wanting for very little in the way of vacuums and for $150, this is a great price on the only vacuum you need. With over 1,000 reviews on Amazon, and a rating of 4.5, there are plenty of people satisfied with this vacuum, and that certainly convinces us that you will be, too.
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe Upright Vacuum Key Features:
- Lift-Away to convert this into a portable vac
- Includes under appliance wand, air-driven pet brush, dusting brush, and crevice tool
- 3 color choices; filtration system traps 99.9% of allergens
Our Runner-Up Pick: Eye-Vac EVPRO Tuxedo Black Touchless Stationary Vacuum
If you could use a little more convenience in your bagless vac, check out the Eye-Vac EVPRO Tuxedo Black Touchless Stationary Vacuum!
The Eye-Vac EVPRO Tuxedo Black Touchless Stationary Vacuum goes along the wall in your home and stays there. This machine doesn’t follow your dirt and grim, but rather makes sweeping it up so simple and easy, you’ll likely find yourself doing it a lot more than normal. You just need to use a broom to push the particulates up to this vacuum and won’t need to bother with a dust pan. You’ve probably most often seen these used in hair salons but we absolutely love the idea of popping it in your kitchen to avoid bending down a dozen times a day for the dust pan. Just think of the time you could save!
The “Always On” setting relies on the infrared beams to sense motion and turn on the suction, or you can switch it to manual if you want to leave it on to vacuum up a big mess. The filtration system uses dual HEPA filters to make sure your air stays allergen-free and the filters themselves are “Lifetime” filters; able to be washed over and over.
This vacuum has over 1,100 reviews on Amazon, 90% of which give 4 or 5 star ratings. A quick look at the reviews and you can tell this machine is the solution to many people’s vacuuming problem; even if they didn’t know they had one!
Eye-Vac EVPRO Tuxedo Black Touchless Stationary Vacuum Key Features:
- 4.8 liters volume of bagless canister
- 2 color options, auto-on sensors with infrared beam technology
- Built in dual HEPA filtration system, washable filters
Best Budget Pick: Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum
Check out our pick for the budget conscious, the Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik lightweight vacuum!
The Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum is a lightweight vacuum you can carry around your house without straining yourself a bit; it’s less than 4 pounds! While pushing this upright stick vacuum you’ll certainly appreciate the smooth rolling wheels that make your work less strenuous so you can vacuum up more than you thought. It will also convert from the upright stick vacuum to a handheld one by removing the head and telescoping stick. It is still corded so you’ll need to watch your step, but the cord is 16 feet, so you should still have plenty of slack to go where you want to go.
This vacuum is Amazon’s #1 Best Seller for Stick Vacuums and Electric Brooms and it’s easy to see why. After all, over 14,000 people have reviewed this, and it’s only $20.
Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum Key Features:
- Converts to handheld vacuum
- 2 color choices
- Includes crevice tool
Best Bagless Canister Pick: BISSELL Zing Lightweight, Bagless Canister Vacuum
Take a look at the BISSELL Zing Lightweight, Bagless Canister Vacuum, the best canister bagless vacuum out there!
The BISSELL Zing Lightweight, Bagless Canister Vacuum offers a powerful suction with its cyclonic action and because it weights less than 8 pounds, you can take this vac with you just about anywhere. The filter and dirt cup are washable and will capture fine dust and debris with ease.
With a flip of a switch (located on the floor brush), you can go from carpets to hard floors with no problem. The 15 foot power cord is a rewind, so it will automatically wrap itself up into the vacuum and out of the way without you needing to twirl and untangle every time you use it.
With a rating of 4.3 and just under $50, this has understandably earned the title of Amazon’s #1 Best Seller for Canister Vacuum cleaners. If that’s not enough to convince you, keep in mind this vac comes with a 1 year warranty, so your risk on investment is minimal.
BISSELL Zing Lightweight, Bagless Canister Vacuum Key Features:
- 15 ft cord auto rewinds
- Light weight; less than 8 pounds
- Includes Multi-surface floor tool, crevice tool and dusting brush
Meet the Shark Navigator Deluxe and say hello to convenience!
The Shark Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum is the only vacuum you’ll need to clean the whole house. The 1200W is used for a more than sufficient vacuum to push along all your floors. The brushroll is easily shut off so you can transition from carpet to hard floors quickly and the full quart sized dust cup will hold plenty of dirt and debris before you need to empty. The crevice tool adds to 10 feet of above-floor cleaning allowing you to get those hidden spots in between and the dust brush will allow you to dust your blinds, curtains, and just about everything. The wide upholstery pet brush allows you to get even the furniture with no problem what so ever!
The Shark Navigator Deluxe has over 2,00 reviews and has earned a rating of 4.4 on Amazon, which is an impressive feat. And at just $125, this is a great selection for your whole house vacuum.
Shark Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum Key Features:
- 1 quart dust cup
- 15 pounds, 25 ft power cord
- Includes upholstery tool, dusting brush, and crevice tool
Who Should Buy a Bagless Vacuum?
There are plenty of reasons you may want a bagless vacuum. Perhaps the most common is the convenience. If you’ve ever begun your vacuuming only to find the bag is full and you’re out of replacements, you know that can be one of the most annoying parts of your vacuuming task. You must always have back ups, because you never know when your family will create too much mess for one bag to handle. Once you add the cost of those bag replacements up, you may find the cost is really more than you want to brunt. And the cost to the environment, considering the dirt filled bags aren’t recyclable, may be too much for your conscience.
You should be aware and prepared, however, for the clean-up. While you won’t necessarily need to clean the dust cup (at least not for your usual clean ups, although perhaps for the extra gross mess), you do have to worry about the dust and debris that drifts into the air when you dump it into your trash. If you have bagged, it is its own kind of convenience; you don’t have to worry about as much of a mess after vacuuming, but the bagless mess can be averted and the convenience of never having to deal with a bag again can not be understated.
For the best bagless vacuum around, pick up a Shark Navigator Lift-Away!
Important Features to Consider
A bagless vacuum should have a few important features to make it most effective. Here’s what to consider when selecting a bagless vacuum:
- Cordless. If you plan on using your vacuum all over the house and all at once, you may not want a cordless because they are notorious for a relatively low battery life. You can usually get about 20-30 minutes out of the really high quality vacuums, though. So you will have plenty enough to do a few rooms at the very least. But you probably won’t be able to get the stairs and curtains, too. Weigh that with the convenience of never winding a cord again before you make up your mind.
- Handheld. This is certainly not the tool for an all over house, but if you have a specific need; a vacuum specifically for a smaller task, this could be the kind of vacuum you need. It’s a particular convenience to keep them stored near their specific need, as well. Handhelds are particularly good with stairs and furniture. You can mount them on the wall near the stairway. And with a few handy attachments, they do cars and gentle surfaces extremely well, too, so maybe you’ll want to mount them in the garage.
- On/off brushroll. Being able to turn the brush off will help you transition from one type of flooring to another with ease. You may not be able to effectively sweep all floors by merely adjusting the height but it will certainly help if you don’t have a special brush for that type (i.e., a hard floor brush is very different from a carpet brush but you can get by vacuuming pretty well by simply not using the brush at all for the hard flooring).
- Adjustable height. Just like with the on/off brushroll, an adjustable height will allow you to transition between different types of flooring. This is particularly convenient if you have an extra thick carpet in one room and a flatter carpet in the next.
- Retractable cord. This isn’t a common feature, by any means, but when you have a cord, having a rewind or retractable one is amazing. The constant wind and untangling of a cord is often the most time consuming part of vacuuming when you switch from room to room. It’s by no means a necessary feature but if you can find a vacuum that meets your criteria that has this feature, too – it’s a bonus you’ll love!
- Attachments. The flexibility of your vacuum is often rooted in the quality and quantity of the attachments. You’ll want the attachments to be a solid quality but the attachments you will probably want include a hose, a crevice tool, a telescoping wand, an upholstery tool, and a dusting brush. These tools combined with your high quality vacuum can tackle any vacuum job in your house (and a lot outside the house, too). And don’t forget if you have a pet, you may want a pet attachment brush, as well.
- Variable power. If a vacuum has a good, strong suction, that’s wonderful! But you don’t always want a max suction. If you’re using it as a duster, for example, you certainly don’t want to vacuum your curtains on high power. Conversely, you don’t want to have a low-powered suction when you’re trying to get gummy bears out of the carpet. Having a choice between the two will make your vacuum more functional and your life much calmer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a bagless vacuum and how does it work?
A bagless vacuum is one that sucks the debris and particulates directly into a dust or dirt cup instead of into a replaceable paper bag liner. The reason this has become the new norm for vacuums is that vacuum bags are expensive to keep replacing and not good for the environment because they are not recyclable unless you purchase specialty (and more expensive) bags.
The dust cup is usually clear, allowing you to see when it needs to be emptied and they are either removed from the machine or, as part of the machine, taken to the trash can, and emptied directly into the trash. You can simply pop it closed after and go back about your business, no fuss.
Is a bagless vacuum cleaner better for pet hair?
A lot of product reviews that answer this question immediately pick out the primary flaw in a bagless vacuum: dumping it. We admit there is more potential for re-releasing your pet hair while dumping the dust cup. But there are ways to mitigate that risk; dump it outside or hold it inside the trashcan before you release. You could even pop a wet towel over the gap between the vacuum and the edge of the trash can before you release the debris to make sure the particulates are caught before they are breathed. In the end, you will just have to weigh the benefits of never needing bags again with the added conveniences of a bag when dumping.
Is a bagless vacuum cleaner better for allergies?
This answer has changed in recent years so if you think you know the answer, you may be wrong. Bagged vacuums traditionally emitted cleaner air than bagless, but now that the HEPA filters in today’s vacuums have advanced so thoroughly, that’s no longer the case. The air is most often similar and in some cases, the bagless is cleaner than the bagged.
However, the claim that dumping is still problematic for bagless vacuums is still a valid concern. While dumping, you will likely kick up a bit of dust and dander particles that may effect someone with allergies or who is particularly sensitive. To avoid this, though, simply dump your dust cup into the trash outside. It takes a few extra steps, but it saves your family the allergen exposure and still allows you to take advantage of a bagless vacuum.
How do you empty a bagless vacuum?
There are several varieties of bagless vacuums that open in a few different ways, but there are two primary ways that most models use. The most common is to remove the entire canister, still sealed and place it over the trash can, pulling (or pushing) a handle that releases the bottom of the canister allowing the debris to tumble out of the bottom.
The second most popular bagless emptying method is similar to a scoop. You flip a release and pull out the dust cup, revealing the now uncovered debris. You simply turn the cup upside down to empty, place cup back in vac, lock into place and you’re back on your way. Either of these ways is incredibly easy and often they are designed to be one handed operations.
Other Bagless Vacuums We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other bagless vacuums. Even though they didn’t make our top 5 bagless vacuums list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option bagless vacuum. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing and we categorized them in the following groups:
Cordless Bagless Vacuums
Not only is this a cordless and bagless vac, you just need to set it and forget it!
- Alexa and Smart App Controls to control from your phone
- 100 minutes of battery life
- Anti-collision and anti-drop sensor protection
This battery operated vacuum will glide smoothly through your day-to-day cleaning.
- Wall mount and mounting accessories included
- 22 minute continuous use
- 15 month warranty
Don’t be concerned about the durability of this battery powered vacuum, it comes with a 2 year warranty.
- Removable rechargeable battery
- WindTunnel technology for efficient suction
- Fuel gauge to indicate battery life
Upright Bagless Vacuums
This vacuum is Amazon’s #1 Best Seller for Upright Vacuum Cleaners, so buying this vacuum will put you in good company.
- 25 ft power cord
- Washable foam filter
- Includes TurboBrush, crevice tool, extension wand, and dusting brush attachments
This little vacuum won’t be a problem to carry with you around the house and it will take care of all you need it to clean.
- 1 touch to empty bottom dust cup
- Less than 7 pounds
- 20 ft power cord
This vacuum is incredibly easy to push and pull with its over sized “Big Wheel” technology.
- Swivel steering
- Washable HEPA filter
- Includes upholstery tool, pet turbo brush, and 16 inch crevice tool
This vacuum has a large dust cup that will hold all the debris you need it to between rooms.
- Weighs less than 10 lbs
- 5 height adjustments
- Includes crevice tool, dusting brush, and upholstery tool
This upright vacuum will connect with the Hoover app on your phone and allow you to customize your cleaning experience.
- Quicklift canister for portable cleaning
- Floor sense technology adjusts to floor transitions
- Sealed allergen system
This vacuum is much quieter than you may expect from a full-sized vacuum that has such a powerful suction.
- Powered Lift-Away canister converts to a portable vacuum
- Advanced Anti-Allergen complete seal
- Includes under appliance wand
Use this vacuum as a regular upright or take it on the go with you as a handheld machine.
- Washable sponge HEPA filter
- 2 color choices, 19 ft power cord
- Includes crevice tool, mini brush, and extension tube
Bagless Canister Vacuums
This canister is designed for hardwood floors, but by switching out the attachable heads, you can easily transition to carpets, as well.
- Multi-surface foot attachment included for carpet
- 18 ft power cord
- Rotating clear window for viewing brush system
Different suctions on this vacuum allow you to transition from hard wood to carpet with no problem.
- HEPA filter
- Silence-Pro system for minimal noise
- Includes crevice tool, dusting brush, and upholstery nozzle
Switch from inside cleaning to outdoor use by blowing your garage or driveway clean with this vacuum’s blow/suck versatility.
- HEPA filter, battery not included
- 3 color choices, blower function for outdoor use
- Includes 2 extension wands, 2 specialty attachments, and crevice tool
This canister vacuum has an easy to empty dust cup that will allow you to clean, dump, and then clean some more with no problems.
- 360 degree swivel hose
- 16 ft power cord
- Telescoping wand, crevice tool, and additional brush attachment included
This canister vacuum has all the power and all the attachments you’ll need for a whole house clean.
- Lifetime HEPA filtration system
- Includes 4 attachments
- 1,200W Miele-made motor with Vortex Technology
By enjoying all the extra attachments that come with this vacuum, you’ll never need another vacuum.
- HEPA filtration system
- Retractable power cord
- 360 degree hose swivel
This canister vacuum’s big bonus is that the head itself is powered and will transition from hard wood to carpet in a snap.
- Electric powered nozzle kit with on/off button
- 1.2L dust bin
- Includes upholstery tool, dusting brush, combination floor tool, and crevice tool
This canister vac will roll with you as you vacuum using it’s convenient big wheels and light weight.
- HEPA filtration system
- 1.8L dust cup capacity
- Includes crevice tool, telescoping tube, and upholstery tool
For more, see our full list of The Best Canister Vacuums
Touchless Bagless Vacuums
Putting this in your kitchen means your floors will end up so much cleaner because you won’t ever mind using this touchless vacuum.
- HEPA filtration system
- 21″W x 13″H x 8″L
- 1 year warranty
Sweep your debris to this stationary vacuum and never bother with that dust pan again.
- 6.5Q dust cup capacity
- HEPA filtration system
- Automatic or manual on