Christmas tree stands are used for both artificial and natural Christmas trees. They keep the tree propped up and, in the case of those made for natural trees, hold water that will keep the tree hydrated and prevent needle loss. While most artificial trees come with a stand included, they are often somewhat flimsy and might break after several years of use, so a replacement stand is sometimes needed. In addition, some people prefer rotating stands, which allow visiting family and friends to see the entire tree.
We have reviewed dozens of Christmas tree stands to identify the best ones for both artificial and natural trees. We reviewed durability, any special features that the stands have, as well as Amazon user reviews in an effort to bring you our best suggestions.
The Krinner’s Tree Genie Deluxe L, Christmas Tree Stand was our clear top choice. It secures any tree up to eight feet tall in seconds, with no tools or assembly required. You can say goodbye to frustrating experiences trying to get the tree straight with this stand. And when you’re ready to start filling up that space under the tree, check out our list of the best gifts under $50 to get your holiday shopping started.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Christmas Tree Stands for 2018
|Top Pick||Krinner’s Tree Genie Deluxe L, Christmas Tree Stand||4.7 stars|
|Runner-Up||JACK-POST Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand||4.5 stars|
|Best Budget Buy||Chase Products CINCO PLASTICS C-152E SM X-mas Tree Stand||4.4 stars|
|Best Artificial Tree Stand||National Tree 32-Inch Folding Tree Stand||4.1 stars|
|Best Rotating Tree Stand||Vickerman Electric Rotating Tree Stand||3.9 stars|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Krinner’s Tree Genie Deluxe L, Christmas Tree Stand
Our first pick is Krinner’s Tree Genie Deluxe L, Christmas Tree Stand. Your tree will go up in a snap with this 18″ diameter extra large tree stand. It will work with any tree up to eight feet tall and with a trunk from one to seven inches in diameter.
The Christmas tree stand holds a gallon of water to keep your tree from drying out, and it has five extendable feet for extra security. The unit weighs 13 lbs, so it will be sturdy without being too heavy to store easily. It comes with a three-year warranty.
Krinner’s Tree Genie Key Features:
- No assembly or tools required
- Holds tree up to eight feet tall
- Holds one gallon of water
- Convenient foot pedal
- Three-year warranty
Our Runner Up Pick: JACK-POST Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand
Secure your natural tree in less than one minute!
The JACK-POST Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand accommodates a Christmas tree up to eight feet tall with a five-inch trunk. The welded steel stand holds over a gallon of water and has a leg span of 24 inches for stability.
Four eye bolts hold the tree securely, and the tubular steel legs won’t bend or flex. The hardware is corrosion resistant, so you won’t have to worry about seeing rust after several weeks of watering your tree. The stand is simple to use and will keep your tree standing securely all season long.
JACK-POST Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand Key Features:
- Made of welded steel and powder coated for durability and corrosion-resistance
- Accommodates trees up to 8 feet tall with 5-inch trunk
- 24 inches wide leg span
- Holds 1.1 gallons of water
- Four eye bolts to hold tree up
Best Budget Pick: Chase Products CINCO PLASTICS C-152E SM X-mas Tree Stand
A great value for those looking for a sturdy stand on a budget.
The Chase Products CINCO PLASTICS C-152E SM X-mas Tree Stand is our top budget-friendly choice for those who are looking for an easy-to-use tree stand for their natural tree. This stand will hold trees up to eight feet tall and six feet in diameter.
This Christmas tree stand has an easy push-pull locking system, which makes it a snap to get the tree up without a hassle. The stand itself is small, which makes it easy to store. It also holds 1.25 gallons of water to prevent your tree from drying out. It comes with a 10-year warranty.
Chase Products CINCO PLASTICS C-152E SM X-mas Tree Stand Key Features:
- Accommodates trees that are 8 feet tall and 6 feet in diameter
- Easy push-pull locking s ystem
- Holds 1.25 gallons of water
- Stores compactly
- 10-year warranty
Best Artificial Tree Stand: National Tree 32-Inch Folding Tree Stand
If you have an artificial tree requiring a new stand, the National Tree 32-Inch Folding Tree Stand is our top pick to get the job done. Available in several different sizes, this tree stand is made with a sturdy steel construction and has a thumb screw that will keep your tree upright.
The legs of this Christmas tree stand fold flat for easy and convenient storage and it weighs only two lbs, making it simple to stow in an attic or basement storage space. The one we have featured holds artificial trees between nine and ten feet tall.
National Tree 32-Inch Folding Tree Stand Key Features:
- Available in different sizes to accommodate a variety of artificial trees
- Sturdy steel construction
- Easy-to-use thumb screw
- Legs fold flat for storage
Best Rotating Tree Stand: Vickerman Electric Rotating Tree Stand
The Vickerman Electric Rotating Tree Stand is a wonderful choice for those looking for a rotating stand to show off all sides of their Christmas tree. This stand accommodates artificial trees with poles that are .75″ or 1.25″ in diameter. It holds trees and accessories that weigh a total of 80 lbs and it rotates 360 degrees. One revolution takes 70 seconds.
The rotation is smooth and noise-free. Also, it will not tangle the cords and is easy to assemble. The 24″ base will keep the tree upright and straight.
Vickerman Electric Rotating Tree Stand Key Features:
- Accommodates artificial trees up to 80 lbs
- Rotates 360 degrees in 70 seconds
- Smooth, quiet rotation
- Tangle-free cords
Who Should Buy a Christmas Tree Stand
If you have a natural (real) Christmas tree, you are going to need a Christmas tree stand. The stand serves two functions: It will hold your Christmas tree upright and it will also hold water. You have to keep a natural tree watered or else it will dry out and drop its needles. In addition, it becomes a fire hazard in your home.
If you have an artificial tree, chances are good that it came with a stand. Still, there are some reasons why you might need a new one. One reason is if the stand it came with broke. Many artificial trees come with plastic stands that aren’t very sturdy, particularly if you tend to decorate your tree with heavy decorations. Another reason would be if you wanted a rotating stand and your tree did not come with one.
Important Features to Consider
Your Christmas tree stand should have a few important features. Here are some to keep in mind as you decide which is the right one for you to purchase.
- Size. There are two considerations when it comes to size: the size of the tree stand and the size of the tree. If you have an oversized tree, you will need a heavy duty tree stand. If you have limited storage space, you’ll want a smaller tree stand that will still accommodate your tree. Be sure to read the specifications of any tree stand you consider so you know if it will work with your tree and in your home.
- Ease of use. Some Christmas tree stands are easier to use than others. If you have an adult or older teen to help you, it might not matter much whether you need two people to get the tree into the stand. If you are the only adult available, however, it is important to choose a stand that has a simple mechanism for securing the tree.
- Features. If you want a rotating tree, you will need to choose a rotating tree stand. Some tree stands also play music, which is nice if you want seasonal tunes to emanate from your tree during the holiday season.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you get a Christmas tree in a stand?
Christmas tree stands work in different ways, so you will need to use the mechanism that is part of your tree stand. For all Christmas tree stands, you need to lift the undecorated tree and place it in the stand. Then you use the mechanism to secure it. You might need to turn bolts, push clips, or press down on a lever that will cause the stand to tighten around the tree trunk. If you have an artificial tree stand, you might need to use the included shims to steady the tree in the socket.
Do I need to cut the bottom of my Christmas tree?
Yes, you need to cut the bottom 1/2 inch to inch from the bottom of your natural tree immediately before you place it in the stand. This will open up the pores at the bottom of the trunk, allowing it to drink the water that you put in the stand. Even if you just cut your tree and brought it home, sap may have clogged the pores, so make a fresh cut right before you put it in the stand.
What if my Christmas tree is leaning?
If you set up your tree in the stand and it is crooked, you will need to unscrew or otherwise loosen the stand’s holding mechanism, adjust the tree, and re-tighten. If the trunk has been cut at an angle, you might need to make it straighter by re-cutting it.
In some cases, the tree might simply be crooked. In that case, you might be able to trim some of the branches that are causing it to lean. Or you might be able to turn the tree so the crooked part is toward the wall. Experiment a bit to see what will work.
One other issue might be that the floor is not level. In this case, you can add a wedge shim under one or more legs of the stand to make the stand level. If you don’t have a wedge shim, you can use a piece of cardboard or something else that will work to level out the stand itself.
Finally, if you have an artificial tree that is leaning, you might need to adjust the branches or tighten the screws in the base.
How do I keep my Christmas tree from drying out?
Cut an inch or so from the bottom of your tree’s trunk to remove the part of the trunk that is clogged with sap. Then be sure to add plenty of water to your stand’s water receptacle. Your tree will drink a lot of water the first 24 to 48 hours, so check a few times per day and add more water as needed. After the first two days, just check once per day; you’ll likely find that as the days pass, you will have to add less water. Do not let your tree run out of water.
Other Christmas Tree Stands We Reviewed
We looked at many other Christmas tree stands and have chosen the best of the rest. Below, you’ll find 20 great options for both real and artificial trees. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listings.
- Christmas Tree Stands for Natural Trees
- Christmas Tree Stands for Artificial Trees
- Rotating Christmas Tree Stands
Christmas Tree Stands for Natural Trees
This Christmas tree stand is perfect for real trees that are up to 10 feet tall. Use it indoors or outdoors as a sturdy stand for your tree.
- Use indoors or outdoors.
- Foot pedal for easy setup
- 20″ diameter
This stand offers a unique tension support system that is easy to use and different from other types of systems you may have tried before. Holds trees up to eight feet tall.
- Made of 100% recycled materials
- Tensioning support system
- Holds 1.2 gallons of water
This is a very sturdy stand that makes setting up your tree a snap. It also features drain slots to help prevent messy spills during disassembly. Easy peasy!
- Impact-grade polymer construction
- Large bolts with comfortable handles
- Holds up to 1.5 gallons of water
You won’t have to do any guessing of how much water is left in the stand with the E.Z. H2O Christmas Tree Stand. It’s easy to see the water levels and to add more as needed.
- Patented 2-level screw design
- Plastic turning wrench included
- Use with trees up to 8 feet tall
This stand’s ratcheting fastener system makes quick work of getting the Christmas tree up. It is suitable for trees up to 10 feet tall and can accommodate a 7-inch diameter trunk.
- Reservoir can hold up to two gallons of water
- Spill guard
- Only 4.5 inches of trunk required
With five bolts, this Christmas tree stand will hold your tree safely and securely. Appropriate for trees up to eight feet tall with a six-inch trunk diameter.
- Holds 1.3 gallons of water
- Steel spike base plate
- Also available in large
With a unique clamping system, you can say goodbye to using screws to hold up your Christmas tree. Has the largest leg span on the market (30″) for the ultimate in stability.
- Durable plastic pot and legs
- 9-inch height for extra stability
- Easy enough for one small person to use alone
With steel construction and a baked-on powder coat finish, this stand will keep your tree upright while protecting your floors with cork padded corners.
- Leak and rust proof plastic liner
- Weight absorbing base design
- Holds 1.5 gallons of water
Enjoy the holidays without worry with this plastic and resin tree stand. It will hold a tree up to nine feet tall with a six-inch trunk diameter.
- Foot lever locks tree in place
- 20″ in diameter
- Green and black finish
Christmas Tree Stands for Artificial Trees
This Christmas tree stand is for artificial trees up to 7.5 feet tall. Its flat design is unobtrusive and easily hidden by a tree skirt.
- For artificial trees up to 7.5 feet tall
- Hides power cord
- 19.25″ diameter, low profile base
If your artificial tree stand is missing, broken, or otherwise unavailable, this kit will fit your tree up to eight feet tall. Easy assembly and fits most pole sizes.
- No tools required
- Will not scratch floors
- Holds trees and accessories up to 75 lbs
This steel artificial Christmas tree stand looks just like the ones that Jack-Post makes for natural trees, adding to the appearance of an authentic, real tree.
- Accommodates trees up to 8 feet tall
- Sized for trees with a 2-inch pole
- 21.5-inch leg span and four legs
This tree stand for artificial Christmas trees is easy to use: Simply open the stand, insert the tree into the hole, and screw in the screw. Take the stress out of putting up the tree each year!
- Easy assembly
- Sturdy steel construction
- Accommodates a .75″ pole and a six- to eight-foot tree
If you have a 6.5- to 8-foot tall artificial tree with a 1.25-inch diameter pole, this is the right artificial Christmas tree stand for you.
- Legs fold flat for storage
- Thumb screw assembly
- Sturdy steel construction
Move your tree with no problems at all thanks to casters on this rolling tree stand! Accommodates artificial trees up to nine feet tall.
- Locking wheels keep tree in place
- Six point bolt system keeps tree straight
- Inner collar design protects pole
Rotating Christmas Tree Stands
This rotating Christmas tree stand not only spins to show every side of your artificial tree but also plays eight holiday songs to keep you in the Christmas spirit.
- Fits trees up to 70 lbs
- Accommodates trees up to 7.5 feet
- Tangle-free cord
- Metal rotating Christmas tree stand
- Adapts to different pole diameters
- Accommodates trees up to 7.5 feet tall
If you are looking for rotation without the noise that some stands create, this might be the best choice for you. It accommodates trees up to 8.5 feet tall and a maximum weight of 150 lbs.
- 360 degree rotation
- Light strings never tangle
- Separate on/off switches for lights and rotation
This sturdy rotating Christmas tree stand is made by Tree Stands. It holds up to 75 lbs and a maximum height of 7.5 feet. The 24-inch diameter leg base provides great stability.
- 1.25 inch diameter tree pole width
- Rotates 360 degrees with on/off switch
- Plug in cord for tree lights
This tree stand will rotate continuously, approximately 3/4 of the circle per minute. It has three settings so you can choose to have it stationary, rotating with the lights on, or off.
- Use with trees up to 7.5 feet tall and up to 80 lbs
- Base contains 3 two-prong outlets for tree lights
- Three settings for convenience