If you’ve ever found yourself annoyed by bending down to plug, unplug, wind or trip over a power cord while you’re vacuuming, the chances are you’ve thought about getting a cordless vacuum. The vacuuming process is slowed down tremendously when you need to stop mid-clean for every room, so why would you keep using a corded vacuum? These days, cordless vacuum power is just as effective as a corded vacuum as is the durability and technology. So stop sacrificing the ease of a cordless and take a look at our list of the best products.
We reviewed dozens of cordless vacuums to identify the best of the best. We looked at their battery life and standard attachments as well as dirt cup or bag size and weeded through the poor imitation cordless vacuums. We found and compiled a list of cordless vacuums and we’re sure that at least one of these vacuums are the perfect fit for your family.
Get used to effortless vacuuming with the Deik Cordless Vacuum Cleaner upright vacuum.
In our research, we identified the Deik Cordless Vacuum Cleaner as the absolute be-all, end-all when it comes to vacuum cleaning luxury. Because if you must vacuum, you’ll want a light weight vacuum that can transition from stick to handheld and hard floors to carpets in a snap.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cordless Vacuums for 2018
|Best Overall||Deik Cordless Vacuum Cleaner||4.6|
|Runner Up||HoLife Handheld Vacuum||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum||4.0|
|Best Lightweight||Shark ION Rocket Ultra-Light Vacuum||4.3|
|Best Upright||Makita Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum||4.6|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Deik Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
The Deik Cordless Vacuum Cleaner is a bagless vacuum that will operate for a full 25 minutes between charges which should more than take care of a few rooms at a time. In between vacuuming, just pop it on the wall mount and it will recharge in no time. You won’t need to stop too often to dump the dust cup, either; it’s a 0.5L capacity.
At only 4.7 pounds, this vacuum is incredibly lightweight, and that will make all that extra cleaning you want to do but don’t have the energy for a real possibility. You’ll also be able to use this as a handheld, should you choose and you can also alternate the stick wand, upholstery attachment and crevice tool to do a lot of above floor cleaning.
This vacuum has earned a rating of 4.7 stars on Amazon and is priced at a very reasonable $110. And considering this one vacuum can pretty much do everything inside your house that you could need it to, it’s a great value!
Deik Cordless Vacuum Cleaner Key Features:
- Stick or vacuum; hard floor or carpet
- 25 minutes of continuous use
- 1-year warranty
Our Runner-Up Pick: HoLife Handheld Vacuum
Take a look at the HoLife Handheld Vacuum, a vacuum that puts a whole lot of suction power in the palm of your hand!
The HoLife Handheld Vacuum uses a powerful aluminum alloy fan that sets an impressive suction for a handheld. It has a dual layer filtration system, allowing it to filter large particles through it’s first, heavy duty plastic layer and then smaller particulates through a washable second layer.
With the purchase of this vac, you’ll get a liquid nozzle and with that nozzle, you’ll be able to vacuum up all those wet messes you encounter in life. You’ll also get the crevice nozzle, the dust brush, a cleaning brush, 2 washable filters and a charging base.
With an Amazon review of 4.4, and a 12-month worry-free warranty, you won’t be risking a lot when you buy one of these vacuums. And when picking up one of these, you can pick one of three colors to give your selection just a bit more personalization.
HoLife Handheld Vacuum Key Features:
- Multiple filtration system
- 0.5L dust cup capacity
- 30 minutes of continuous use
Best Budget Pick: BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum
The BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum is the best vacuum for the budget conscious family.
The BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum is a bagless and cordless vacuum that will store on a mounted wall device. The strong suction is thanks to the cyclonic action that also keeps your vacuum from getting clogged or too terribly dirty between cleaning. And that cleaning is a breeze; both the filters and the dust cup itself are washable and reusable.
This vacuum has a lot of what would normally be an attachment, securely hidden on board so you won’t have to worry about losing anything. The brush flips up from the side to scrub those more stubborn areas of filth and the crevice tool is actually pulled up from inside the narrow nozzle, allowing you to get an extra several inches of clearance.
With a rating of 4.0 stars and over 2,000 reviews, you certainly wouldn’t be the only one who invested in this handheld cordless vacuum. And at just under $35, you’re not breaking the bank for this purchase, either.
BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum Key Features:
- Washable dust cup and filter
- Lightweight; >3lbs
- Includes: wall mount, extendable crevice tool, flip-up brush
Best Lightweight Cordless Vacuum Pick: Shark ION Rocket Ultra-Light Vacuum
The cordless Shark ION Rocket Ultra-Light Vacuum is so lightweight, you’ll be able to use it anywhere!
The Shark ION Rocket Ultra-Light Vacuum is an excellent choice for a light weight vacuum that you can use for just about anything. With its attachments, you can devote a lot of your attention to cleaning above floor and because it only weighs 7.2 pounds, you won’t break your back holding it up to do so. The dust cup is 0.3 quarts so you won’t need to stop and dump repeatedly, and the way you dump is a simple push and the bottom door of the dust cup hinges open.
With 8 LED lights along the brush head, you needn’t worry about seeing where you’re vacuuming while using it as a stick or upright vacuum. If you choose, you can also configure the attachments and use this vacuum as a handheld device, as well, which will allow for all kinds of additional vacuuming possibilities.
This cordless and lightweight vacuum is full of conveniences that have earned it a 4.3 star rating on Amazon and at just under $200, there’s plenty of appeal for you and your family.
Shark ION Rocket Ultra-Light Vacuum Key Features:
- Lightweight; 7.2 lbs
- Removable and rechargeable battery
- Includes duster crevice tool, pet multi-tool, and anti-allergen dust brush
Best Upright Cordless Vacuum Pick: Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum Kit
The Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum Kit has everything you’ll need to vacuum your whole house without the hassle of a cord!
The Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum only weighs 2.7 pounds and for a stick vacuum, that’s impressively lightweight. And the quality isn’t a sacrifice they made to make it so light weight; it still has a 2-stage cloth filtration system allowing you to wash the filters for reuse saving you big in the long run. It also has a bagless dust cup and the kit gives you all you’ll need to vacuum nearly your whole house.
The battery on this vacuum, an included 18V, removes and docks onto the charger between uses. You can use this battery on other Makita products, so this purchase may just be the beginning of several Makita purchases. A full charge will give you approximately 15 minutes of constant use and should you encounter any problems with the vacuum, it comes with a 3-year warranty.
Over 475 reviews on Amazon have earned this vacuum a rating of 4.6 stars and at under $100 and with a 3-year warranty, you certainly shouldn’t overlook this upright cordless vacuum!
Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum Kit Key Features:
- Includes floor nozzle, crevice tool, extension attachment, battery, and charging dock
- 15 minutes continuous use
- 3-year warranty
Who Should Buy a Cordless Vacuum
As long as you don’t mind having to take a break every half hour (ish) to recharge the vacuum, the real answer to ‘who should buy a cordless vacuum?’ is everyone. The convenience of merely picking a vacuum up and going wherever you want with it is undeniable and with the advancements in battery life in days of late, there aren’t too terribly many reasons to forego the extreme convenience and huge time saver of a cordless vacuum.
Keep in mind, the biggest barrier for purchasing a cordless vac (especially one that’s hearty and big enough to take are of your whole house) is the price. It has come a long way from the days where cordless vacuums were thought to be either bad technology or purely a luxury item, it’s true. But you do still pay a bit of a “luxury tax” on a high quality cordless vacuum. You’ll need to weigh the extra cost with your convenience, of course. But if it fits in the budget, then a cordless vacuum is a useful tool for your home.
Get used to effortless vacuuming with the Shark Navigator Freestyle Cordless Stick Vacuum upright vacuum.
Important Features to Consider
A cordless vacuum should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cordless vacuum for your home:
- Battery life. Absolutely, without a doubt, the first feature to look at when you decide to purchase a cordless vacuum is the battery life. You’ll want to know exactly how much you can get done between charges and to do so, you may want to time yourself doing all your vacuuming with your current vacuum. If you typically do in two separate times with a break in between, an upstairs and downstairs for example, then there’s a very good chance you’ll be able to work within your current vacuum expectations before the battery dies.
- Battery charge time. If you typically do a cleaning day where you vacuum a bit, then break to clean and then finish vacuuming, there’s a good chance a cordless won’t interrupt your routine at all. If you use your vacuum for everything at once; curtains, carpets, hard floors, dusting and upholstery – there’s a good chance you’re going to want a short charge time so that you can get back to your cleaning. After all, your vacuum isn’t the only thing that loses steam, so to speak and if you’re on a cleaning roll, you don’t want to have to wait for your vacuum to charge for hours.
- Overcharging possibilities. There are some vacuums that use slightly older tech where it is possible to over charge your battery and “fry” it. Read the reviews before you make the purchase, that will definitely be something that reviewers ring up frequently if it is the case. If you still decide to get that type of vacuum, just make sure you’re unpluggging the vac after it’s fully charged. Don’t store these vacuums on the charge.
- Bagless. If you’re utilizing the convenience of a cordless vacuum, you may want to use a bagless one, as well. After all, stopping to wind a cord or move it from one room to another may be the most time consuming, but switching out a vacuum bag (and always keeping them in stock) is still a pretty big bother, too. Don’t save yourself on one convenience only to cheat yourself another.
- Attachments. Depending on your battery life, you may decide you don’t need all the bells and whistle attachments. After all, if your battery life can’t support you vacuuming the floors and the couches, then why would you need an upholstery tool? Likewise, if you plan on using a handheld cordless on the stairs, you won’t very well need a dusting attachment or floor brushroll. You’ll need to plan a bit to make sure you get the attachments you need and don’t pay extra for tools you don’t.
- Multi-surface capabilities. If you have a lot of different types of flooring in your home you may want to look into a cordless vacuum that will transition without a lot of difficulty. There are different attachments and brushes, or there are also options that use the same brushroll, but simply turn it off or adjust the height, making it a quick switch. Because a cordless vacuum’s convenience can be hindered by needing to run back to get another attachment every time you switch flooring type, you may want to think about alternatives to new attachments for each task.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cordless vacuum and how does it work?
A cordless vacuum is one that is powered by a battery and has no cord that you need to plug in for its use. You will likely store the vacuum on a mounted battery charger on your wall for both convenience and to maintain a charge. They can come in any form from handheld to robot to upright and stick vacuums. Cordless vacuums work the same as any other vacuum, with the one obvious exception being there is a time limit on your cordless that doesn’t exist for a corded. You can still use attachments and depending on the model you pick, it can even be your primary whole house vacuum; just without the hassle of tangled cords.
How long does it take for a cordless vacuum to charge?
The time it takes for the battery of a cordless vacuum to fully charge depends on a lot of different factors. You should look int each model’s advertised charge time but understand that those numbers are from completely dead to a full charge, so if you’re looking to just charge enough to finish vacuuming the couch’s crevices, you won’t need to wait the full charge time. Although we can’t give an exact answer fr all vacuums, a decent approximation for a cordless vacuum to charge is roughly 3-4 hours.
Can I use a cordless vacuum while charging?
Most cordless vacuums are charged by the mounted battery attached to the wall. If this is the case, then its not possible to vacuum while it’s charging. There are a few handheld cordless vacuums that use an AC plug that you can operate while it charges, but the plugs are very short, so you won’t be able to go far. Also, they often recommend not doing so because it can damage the charge and possibly the battery. Besides, if you use a cordless vacuum with a cord, it’s defeating the purpose.
How long does the battery last on a cordless vacuum?
Again the battery life varies from vacuum to vacuum but there is a general ball park that you can expect; roughly 20-30 minutes. Depending on variable speeds and the quality of the battery, you can expect more or less than that range, but keep in mind these numbers are usually “up to” and not “at least” that long. So you should expect whatever number that the vacuum advertises to be when you’re operating the vacuum under optimal conditions and most of the time, it will be a few minutes less than that.
Other Cordless Vacuums We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cordless vacuums. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cordless vacuums list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your family. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing. We broke them into three convenient categories:
Handheld Cordless Vacuums
This vacuum flips out for operation and in for both compact storage and to get hard to reach places.
- lightweight; >4 lbs
- 3-stage filtration system
- Includes washable filter, pre-filter, on-board brush, and on-board crevice tool
This handheld vacuum comes with a stick attachment and gives you the best of both worlds.
- 20 minute battery life
- Lightweight; >7lbs
- Includes 4 ft hose, long crevice tool, pet hair brush, nozzle/brush tool, and washable filter
This portable vacuum will work great if you already have a Dewalt Battery and if not, you can pick up any 18V battery and use with a variety of DeWalt tools.
- Lightweight; >5 lbs
- 18V Battery not included
- 3 year warranty
This handheld vacuum is one that can utilize its attachments and become a wet/dry vacuum in a snap.
- Wet and dry operation
- 30 minutes of continuous use
- Includes 2 washable filters, brush nozzle, crevice tool, rubber jar tool, and cleaning brush
Stick Cordless Vacuums
This is a vacuum that will clean your house without all that winding and tangling.
- Swivel steering and lay flat handle
- 40 minutes battery life
- lightweight; weighs >8 pounds
Have the best of both worlds with this 2-in-1 stick vacuum.
- 2 color choices
- Smartech sensor alerts battery life
- 2-year warranty
This Dyson is so lightweight, carrying it around is a piece of cake; and considering it can do virtually everything, that’s handy.
- Up to 60 minutes of battery life
- 3 varied power modes
- Includes combination tool, crevice tool, mini soft dusting brush, and mini-motorized tool
This bagless and cordless vacuum will do all the vacuuming required in your house with very little effort on your part.
- Up to 40 minutes battery life
- Whole machine HEPA filtration
- Includes hard floor and carpet brushes, stick, crevice tool, and upholstery tool
If you’re in the market for a stick cordless vacuum that is light enough to haul all over your home, then you’ll want to check this out this eufy.
- 22 minute battery life
- 0.9L dust cup capacity
- 15-month warranty
This stick vacuum can also be converted into a handheld with just a few snaps in and out of place.
- Up to 25 minutes of battery life
- lightweight; >5lbs
- 1-year warranty
This stick vac can do hard floors and low pile carpets best, but the included plush brush roll allows it to go all over your carpets, as well.
- 20 minute battery life
- Swivel steering, weighs >6 lbs
- Includes vacuum crevice tool, 2-in-1 upholstery tool, and plush brushroll
This vacuum uses a wind tunnel technology for an extra powerful suction.
- Fuel gauge indicator shows battery life
- 20 minutes of continuous use
- 2 year warranty
With a switch of a brush head, this vacuum can transition to any floor in your home.
- 1.05L dust cup capacity
- 50 minutes of continuous use
- Includes dusting and crevice, hard Floor brushroll, pivoting dusting tool, and an additional filter
You can count on this vacuum’s strong suction to clean your floors quickly and easily.
- Lightweight; less than 3lbs
- 15 minutes of continuous use
- 2 stage cloth filtration system
This vac comes with a scuff guard that acts as a bumper, protecting your walls and furniture.
- 25 minute continuous use
- Hands-free dirt cup release
- Brush roll can be turned off
You can use this vacuum on your hard floor or carpets and remove the handheld portion to vacuum practically any other surface in your home.
- 2 color choices, weighs 6 pounds
- 24 minute battery life
- Includes floor head with electric brushroll, crevice tool, and dusting brush/upholstery tool.
Never worry about seeing where you’re vacuuming again with this vacuum’s six LED lights along the head.
- 180 degree swivel head
- 23 minute battery life
- 1-year warranty
You can get the performance you would expect from a standard vacuum without the hassle of a cord.
- Charge time of 4 hrs; wall mounted
- 2 color choices
- 2 speed brushroll
Specialty Cordless Vacuums
This vacuum is of course cordless; you wear it on your back.
- 2 stage HEPA filtration
- 60 minutes battery life (batteries not included)
- Includes extraction attachment
The very picture of set it and forget it; program this robot to vacuum when you want it to and empty the dust bin when you have a chance. It’s that easy!
- Sensor determines which areas are dirtier to spend more time on them
- Pushes past soft barriers like bedskirts
- 3-stage cleaning system